1 of 1
One of the best ways to beat the heat in the summer is to play in the water. A trip to the ocean is always fun, but here are some alternatives to making a trip to the beach to cool off.
- Hit the pool! Many neighborhoods have pools for residents and their guests. There are also public pools available. In Wilmington these include: Legion Pool, Robert Strange Pool, and Northside Pool. Also open to the public is Splash Pad located on 750 Bess Street which includes geysers, water cannons, dumping buckets and much more! Public pools require a small entry fee while Splash Pad is free of charge. For more information on these visit http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/community_services/recreation/pools.aspx
- Crank up the sprinklers. Running through the sprinklers in my own back yard is one of my favorite childhood memories. You don’t have to leave the house to have fun in the water when you have a sprinkler!
- Play water games. Water balloons and water guns are always favorites but don’t forget about squirting bath toys. Fill a bucket with water and have kids play different relay type games using bath toys that fill with water when you squeeze them. My favorite game involves putting 2 piles of shaving cream on the driveway and having kids work with squirting toys to try to eliminate the pile by squeezing water onto them.
- Splash in water tables and wading pools. These are great for younger kids to play in when you add some cups and bath toys.
- Bathe the dog or wash the car. These tasks may not seem like fun for adults but most kids LOVE to help with these chores because the buckets full of water and hose keep everyone cool.