Many families with little ones will soon be hitting the roads this summer while traveling on vacation, and one of the key essentials of any lengthy car trip with kids is the right kind of snacks. Along with toys and games, there’s nothing more important than food when children are confined to a cramped car for hours on end. But choosing the right kind of snacks, specifically those that won’t crumble, smear, leak, spoil, squish, stick or stain, isn’t always easy. Below are a few types of snacks that can go the distance when it comes to portability, low mess, and healthiness for your little traveling foodies. Just don’t forget to bring along some drinks, as your child will be bound to get thirsty with all that eating!
- String cheese – As long as it isn’t left to sit in the hot sun too long, string cheese is a great choice when it comes to a healthy snack that leaves practically no mess behind.
- Granola bars – Always a kid-pleaser, granola bars come in an endless array of flavors and types. Chewy granola bars are the best variety to choose in order to avoid any crumbs covering your seats or your child’s hands.
- Sliced fruit – Just pick your child’s fruit of choice and slice it up before you hit the road. Small plastic containers or ziplock bags make for great fruit containers.
- Raisins – Nothing is easier than grabbing a box of raisins on your way out the door. They don’t make much of a mess and kids simply love holding their own box.
- Pretzel rods – Pretzels aren’t nearly as greasy or crumbly as other types of chips, and the rods are the best shape when it comes to little hands trying to hold them without dropping anything.