1 of 1
During hurricane season it is important to be prepared in the event that a storm makes landfall near your home.
Decide ahead of time where you and your family will go in case of a mandatory evacuation, or in the event you don't wish to stay. Make sure you take into consideration all of your family members including your pets.
If your family plans to ride out the storm, make sure that you have the following items on hand to keep your family comfortable and entertained:
- a 3 day supply of non-perishable food
- a can opener
- water (FEMA suggests one gallon per person per day for drinking and sanitation)
- battery operated radio
- fully charged cell phone
- cash (in case the power is out and you need to make a purchase)
- games and books
- grill/camp stove to heat food
- hand sanitizer/baby wipes
- first aid kit
- prescription medications
- cooler with ice
- insect repellent
Don't wait to get supplies! Store shelves become bare very quickly when a storm is close.