Chicken pot pies are a family favorite and can be simply made with rotisserie chicken meat. Chicken Pot Pie in the form of an empanada is especially clever as it turns this comfort food staple into finger food. Try this yummy recipe from Real Simple magazine to enhance your next rotisserie chicken dinner.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 3- to 4-pound store-bought rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- salt and black pepper
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts (from a 15-ounce package, such as Pillsbury)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the broth. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the peas and carrots, chicken, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cut each pie crust in half. Spoon the chicken mixture over one side of each half-circle, leaving a ½-inch border. Using your fingers, wet the border with water. Fold the crust over the chicken. Press to seal. Make three 1-inch slits in the top of each.
- Transfer the empanadas to a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
This recipe serves 4.