With a new year comes the decision for many people to get back in shape, but for moms of young children, this resolution can be even more challenging. As any mom of little ones knows, there simply isn’t enough time in the day to schedule a dedicated workout without constant, albeit cute, interruptions. That’s why it’s much easier to find creative ways to incorporate easy and fun exercises into your regular daily routine of chasing your children around the house. Here are a few simple ideas for sneaking in a workout while spending time at home with your little ones.
- Turn your toddler into your personal trainer - Choose a few simple exercises, such as squats, push ups, sit-ups, and lunges, and assign each one a colored ball or similar item that you have placed in a bag, Let your child choose a ball and then also tell you a number between 1-10, and then perform that many reps of the chosen exercise. Repeat the process with your child choosing the exercises for as long as your can. Chances are, your little one will relish in the power of making you jump and sweat, and the more you groan, the more fun you both will have during this easy indoor workout.
- Go outside and play tag - A basic game of chase on a nice day can easily get your heart pumping while allowing you to play outdoors with your kids. Running around the backyard for 20-30 minutes can help you get your workout in, as well as help tire out the little ones and ensure a guaranteed nap time later that day!
- Have a dance party - Kids love to dance, and they love seeing their parents moving and shaking even more! You can turn up the radio or put on a variety of music and dance videos on YouTube, and then get down with your silly selves as you burn some calories together and have a blast.
- Use the swings - Children love swings, so the next time you’re at the playground, you can use them to help you squeeze in some exercise. Each time you push your child, quickly either squat or lunge before the next push. Or if you’re feeling like it, you can even get down and do a burpee, but be sure to skip a swing push or two in order to give yourself enough time to get back up without getting kicked!
- Practice crawling together - Even if your little one already knows how to walk, crawling around the house is still a fun activity for any child. So get down on all fours with your toddler or crawling baby and use your abs to get around the house. Stop every once in awhile and hold a plank position, or go for a couple of pushups here or there as you and your little one explore the house from a new-to-you perspective!