1 of 1
Tax-Free weekend for NC and SC will be August 3-5. The following items sill be tax-free during this weekend.
- Clothing, footwear, and school supplies of $100 or less
- School instructional materials of $300 or less
- Sports and recreational equipment of $50 or less
- Computers of $3,500 or less. Tablet computers and netbooks qualify, but e-readers do not.
- Computer supplies of $250 or less
According to the NC Department of Revenue's website "clothing accessories, jewelry, cosmetics, protective equipment, wallets, furniture, items used in a trade or business, and rentals are not covered by the exemption and will be subject to the applicable tax."
If you plan to take advantage of the tax-free weekend, make the most of your savings by following some simple tips.
- Plan ahead by looking through sales papers to locate the best sales before heading out.
- Use coupons, if available, to save the most money.
- If you are planning to make a large purchase such as a computer this weekend would be a great time to do it.
- Make a list of what you need before heading out and stick to it. Impulse buying just because it is "tax-free" will not save you money!